Subject: Fw: World AIDS Day Observances in Manhattan – 2009 – Universal Access & Human Rights – Updated
December 1st is a major observance of World AIDS Day when we remember those who have died from AIDS. It is an opportunity for individuals and group from across the world to come together to remember,and demonstrate worldwide support to, people living with and affected by HIV and AIDS. It is the one day in the year where issues surrounding HIV and AIDS can take center stage.
The Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance (EAA) strongly encourages faith-based communities to make the most of World AIDS Day 2009 by engaging in some form of workshop, event, or advocacy focused on HIV and AIDS.
The global theme for 2009 and 2010 World AIDS Day is “Universal Access and Human rights” chosen by the World AIDS Campaign, a network of civil society groups active in the response to HIV and AIDS, including EAA.
The theme encourages us to deepen understanding, develop partnerships and challenge discriminatory laws, and practices that stand in the way of access for all to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. When human rights are not respected, people living with HIV and AIDS are vulnerable to stigma and discrimination, illness, economic insecurity, and reduced access to treatment.
Over the past years there have been some encouraging advances in the global response to HIV and AIDS We have seen increased commitment around the world to respond to HIV and AIDS in national and local initiatives, in churches and religious organizations and in civil society.
Below is a listing of World AIDS Day Observances throughout NYC. I encourage you to join with the community in leadership and solidarity and help promote universal access, human dignity and respect and protect the human rights of people living with or affected by HIV
Let’s remember our brothers and sisters throughout the world who are affected by HIV and AIDS. Please contact the programs directly, if you have any questions about the events. The list will be updated and distributed weekly. Have a safe and peaceful Thanksgiving!
WORLD AIDS DAY OBSERVANCES 2009
Saturday, November 28th
- “National Action Network’s Commemoration of World AIDS Day 2009” at House of Justice Auditorium, 106 W. 145th Street. Saturday, November 28th, 9:00 am – 11 am. Join N.A.N. Members, public officials, faith-based and community based organizations, and advocates from the HIV/AIDS community. . Tune in live on WLIB 1190 AM
or the internet @ http://www.nationalactionnetwork.net. For more information contact Joe Sellman at 646-302-8959
Sunday, November 29th
- “Remembrance Advent 2009 and Pre-World AIDS Days 2009 Service”, Sunday, November 29th, 12 Noon – 2:00 p.m., Riverside Church in the City of New York,
490 Riverside Drive, New York. Sponsored by AIDS Service Center New York City, For more information contact Oliver Martin at 212-561-1787. ##
Monday, November 30th
- “Here I Am” – A portrait of one East Harlem resident living with AIDS: Short documentary screening and discussion at Mount Sinai School of Medicine,
Annenberg 12th floor, Auditorium 12-01, 1468 Madison Ave at E. 100th Street. Monday, November 30th, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.,
For more information contact Jessica Acuna @Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:Jessica.email@example.com> ##
Tuesday, December 1st
“Iris House’s World AIDS Day Celebration”, at Iris House, 2348 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd. Between 137th & 138th Street. Tuesday, December 1st
10 a.m. – 3:00 pm. Come in for a short memorial program, learn more about the theme and get tested. For more information, call 646-548-0100
“Do You Know What Today Is?”IF NOT .. Find Out at These Locations. At multiple locations: 1) 125th Street in front of the State Office Building
on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd., 2) 116th Street and 3rd Avenue; 3) 42nd Street – 7th Avenue at Times Square; 4) 14th Street at Union Square Park, and
5) City Hall Park. Tuesday, December 1st, 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. It’s Time to Remember Sponsored by over 50 different agencies.
For more information call 212-828-6141 ##
“Take The Lead….Stop AIDS – Keep The Promise”, WAD MEMORIAL at The New York Public Library – Harlem Branch, 9 West 124th Street between 5th and Lenox Avenues, Tuesday, December 1st, 4:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. For more information call 212-749-3656 ext 3106 ##
“Candlelight Vigil”, at The New York Restoration Project Community Garden, 103rd Street and Park Avenue. Tuesday, December 1st, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., , Sponsored by Mount Sinai Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs For more information please contact Jessica Acuna (Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:Jessica.email@example.com> ) ##
World AIDS Day 2009 Bienestar Center Event, Union Settlement Association, 237 E 104th Street between 2nd and 3rd Ave. Tuesday, Dec 1st , 5 p.m.-9 p.m,. For more information contact Rebecca Torres, 212-828-6151 ##
“Interfaith service in commemoration of World AIDS Day (in Spanish)” at United Methodist Church of the Village, 7th Ave, corner of 13th Street in Manhattan, Tuesday, December 1st 5:30 pm. Sponsored by Latino Commission on AIDS. Para información llame al 212-675-3288
Servicio Memorial Latino Del SIDA: Comunidades de Fe Latinas Responden. La Iglesia del Village, Una Iglesia Metodista Unida Progresista,
201 W de la Calle 13 (Esquina con la 7a Ave.) 1 de Diciembre 5:30 PM Vigilia, 6:00 PM Servicio Interreligioso.
Tren 1,2,3 hasta la estación 14th Street. Linea informativa sobre el SIDA en el Estado de Nueva York 1-800-233-7432 ##
“Viva el Barrio!” Community Party. At Julia de Burgos Cultural Center, Lexington Avenue and 106th Street, Tuesday, December 1st, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. A night of live music, speakers, and free food. For more information please contact Jessica Acuna (Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:Jessica.email@example.com> ) ##
“Out of the Darkness”, Candlelight Vigil, at Trinity Lutheran Church of Manhattan, 164 West 100th Street (at Amsterdam Avenue, Tuesday, December 1st , 6 p.m., Candlelight Vigil begins, followed by procession to Broadway UCC Church 2504 Broadway at 93rd Street; 6:30 pm reading of the names; 7:00 pm WAD Gathering. For more information call 212-367-1016 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> ##
- Memorial Services & Celebration of Life, at Rivers of Living Waters Family Worship Center, 1854 Amsterdam Ave (Corner of 152nd Street – St. Luke A.M.E. Church). Tuesday, December 1st, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Refreshments will be served from 6-7 and Service begins at 7 p.m. For more information contact Margaret Reneau at 212-961-4283 ##
- “Stand With Us – Walk With Us -World AIDS Day 2009”, Episcopal Response to AIDS at Christ & Saint Stephen’s Church, 120 West 69th Street, Tuesday, December 1st, 6:30 p.m. . Special Holy Eucharist and reception. ERA’s grants for 2010 will be announced. Everyone is invited to submit the names of those they would especially like us to pray for at the website: http://www.erany.org <http://www.erany.org> ##
Wedensday, December 2nd
- “Cafecito Discussion with Leaders in HIV/AIDS Advocacy Education, and Care in NYC” at East Harlem Café on Lexington Avenue and 104th Street. Wednesday, December 2nd, 6:00 p.m., For more information please contact Jessica Acuna (Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:Jessica.email@example.com> ) ##
Thursday, December 3rd
- “HIV and the City, the Current Challenges of Practice, Prevention and Policy in NYC”, A panel discussion for students at Mount Sinai School of Medicine Annenberg Building,, 1468 Madison Avenue at E.100th St. Thursday, December 3rd 7:00 p.m. For more information please contact Jessica Acuna (Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:Jessica.email@example.com> ) ##
Friday, December 4th
- “Universal Access and Human Rights: Focus on Adolescents and Their Access to HIV Prevention, Treatment, Care and Support as a Critical Part of Human Rights – World AIDS Day event”, at Jacob Javits Federal Building, 26 Federal Plaza, 6th Floor Conference Center, Friday, December 4th, 9:00 a.m. – 1 p.m., Sponsored by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Region II. RSVP by Friday, November 27th. For more information or to RSVP call 212-264-2560 ##
“A Celebration of Life” – A special Tribute to Honor All our Client on World AIDS Day, at Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies, 281 Park Avenue South, Manhattan, Between 22nd and 21st Street, Friday, December 4th, 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. #6 Train to 23rd Street. For more details call Michelle 347-203-3476 or Steve 718-751-5878 ##
“Unfinished Business” Grand Street Settlement, 80 Pitt Street, New York, NY, Friday, December 4th, $3 entry fee, 5 p.m. – 11 p.m.. For more information call 212-674-1740 ##
- “When My Reality Conflicts with My Theology!, A Continuing Open Discussion”, at Second Providence Baptist Church, 11-16 West 116th Street, (Community Health and Awareness Ministry). Saturday, December 5th, 9:30 am – 2:00 pm. HIV, AIDS, Domestic Violence, Men, Women, Stigma, Fault, Blame, Race, He Loves Me!, Those People! For more information contact Rev. Londro B. Wilson at 718-434-9350 or Rev. Lidia Leudo at 917 553-8686. ##
Saturday, December 5th
Wednesday, December 9th
- “World AIDS Day 2009 Festivities – Removing Barriers, Addressing Stigma”, at the historic National Black Theatre, 2031-33 Fifth Ave between 125th and 126th. Wednesday, December 9th, 5:00 pm – 9 pm. Featuring special musical performances by ARC Choir and Rapper Doug E. Fresh. For more information or to RSVP (by November 27th) contact Mr. Escott Solomon at 212-423-2741 or via e-mail at Escott.Solomon@ngsc.org <mailto:Escott.Solomon@ngsc.org> ##
- ## = not previously listed
Deja un comentario
Aún no hay comentarios.