RE: Ready to Lead (R2L) – Lehman College, Bronx, New York, December 6, 2008
Ready to Lead Program Description
The goal of CHCI’s Ready to Lead (R2L) program is to motivate, educate and empower Latino high school students to graduate from high school, prepare for college admission, and serve and lead in their communities.
The program provides training that helps provide Latino high school students throughout the country with the tools and training they need to prepare for college. These one-day intensive training seminars include sessions on:
§ Getting Ready for College: courses and activities that will support a strong college application
§ Financial literacy: A primer on financial basics from managing credit cards and checking accounts to saving for college, and resources for financial aid
§ Leadership Development: An introduction to the five practices of exemplary leadership to give students the tools to take leadership roles in their schools and communities
CHCI provides participants with:
§ Comprehensive skills training in three key areas necessary for college preparation
§ Ongoing communications to keep students skills and resources updated.
§ Access to CHCI alumni who provide peer-to-peer interaction with students and lead many of the R2L sessions.
§ A scholarship resource handbook or CD, created for CHCI through a partnership with State Farm. These resource handbooks list hundreds of sources of financial aid, as well internship and fellowship opportunities.
§ An introduction to sponsors and leaders in their communities – including the opportunity to meet a member of Congress.
Program with Timeline
8:30 am Students Arrive/Continental Breakfast
9:00 am Sponsor Opening Remarks
9:05 am Goals for the Day
9:30 am Workshop A – College Planning
1. Prepare for College
2. Select a College
3. Apply for College
10:45 am Alumni Panel – “My Success Story”
11:30 am Lunch – “Round Robin Activity”
12:00 pm Keynote Lunch Speaker (Congressional member)
12:30 pm Workshop B – Financing College Education
1. Scholarships, Grants, Loans
2. Federal Financial Aid
3. Credit Cards and Debt
1:45 pm Workshop C – Leadership Development
Five Practices of an Exemplary Leader
1. Model the Way
2. Inspire a Shared Vision
3. Challenge the Process
4. Enable Others to Act
5. Encourage the Heart
3:15 pm Evaluations/Raffle giveaways
- Cover financial cost of: Facilities, AV, Breakfast, Lunch, Speakers
- Provide a full day of trainings facilitated by professionals with expertise in their presentation areas
- Provide all handouts and collateral material for each session
- Provide premiums to participating students (R2L bag, notebooks, pens and sponsor giveaways)
- Select and coach keynote and other speakers/presenters to ensure all goals are met
- Reach out to and work with Congressional representatives’ offices to plan and coordinate lunch keynote speech
- Conduct program evaluation and share results with the Institution
- Set up R2L list serve and with the Institution
- Staff registration table and supervise check-in
- Supervise logistics throughout the day
- Generate a press release and distribute to local/national media
- Post event on CHCI news (website, e-news, and newsletter with distribution to CHCI sponsor companies, alumni, and board of directors – including members of Congress)
For questions or additional information, please contact Ms. Andrea Velasco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deja un comentario
Aún no hay comentarios.